Monday, April 25, 2005

Upcoming Graduation

Well, it's official. There is only three more weeks until graduation. Or 18 days if you want to look at it that way. It's basically this week, dead week, and then finals week. In a lot of ways its kind of scarey but it's also very exciting. I'd have to say that the one thing that scares me most about graduating, is that I don't know where I'll get a job at. There isn't much for me where my folks live, which is where I'll be going, but I really can't afford to go any place else until I get some money saved up. There are several job opportunities for me in Wichita and Newton but those are a long drive away from where my parents live. It's looking like I might just have to find some pud temporary job until I can get some money set aside and find a better job, one I actually want, and be able to afford a place to live. Or even if I could just save up enough money to put a down payment on a newer car, then maybe I could make the long commute from where my folks live to Wichita or Newton. As of right now, I don't trust my car to be able to do that every day. Plus gas prices are way to freakin high.

My mom, dad, brother, brother's girlfriend, and one of my aunts are supposed to be coming to graduation. Two of my friends I know for sure are coming. I am really hoping that my sister can come and bring my nephews with her. But she has two jobs now and gas costs a lot so it would be hard for her to make it. Still I hope that she can even if she can only come for the ceremony. I really am quite anxious to see my family again. I miss them all so much. When you live five hours away from home it makes it a little hard to go home on the weekends like some other students do.

I think I'm ready for graduation. Sure, I don't know where I'll end up working, but I'm ready to be out of school. I've been in college for five years now and I'm ready to go. Besides, I'm tired of reading text books and journal articles and doing research papers and all sorts of other boring stuff. Granted, it's all a part of the learning process and I love to learn. I'm just starting to get burned out on it though. I'm thinking perhaps I'll take a year to three years off after graduation, get my affairs in order and then see about coming back for a masters or taking my minor and turning it into a second major. It couldn't hurt. I also would like to take some more computer classes. I've only taken two computer classes in all of my five years and I think I'd enjoy taking more. Plus, learning about computers is fun and its something I seem to be good at. My brother thinks that with some hard work and a little bit of time, I could get as good at computers as he is. But he is lucky, he taught himself everything he knows about them. But hey, it pays to have a smart brother, seeming as how he is going to be building my next computer for me.

Well that's about it for now. Things are pretty hectic what with finishing up the last of school work, packing, and getting ready for graduation. If I don't write again before graduation you'll know its because I'm super busy. Take care all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey Christy ... How did graduation go? This is sweet_one4now's mom. Just curious. Hope you enjoyed the big day.