Thursday, October 28, 2004

Depression : What it really is...

I have been battling with depression ever since I was 11 years old. There are times when I have done just fine without taking medication and then there are times when I can't function without it. This past year to two years has been the case where more often than not, I can't function well without my medication. And so I take my medication and I go on with life as best I can.

But through my years of battling this abnormal behavior, I've noticed that not many people really understand what depression actually is. Most people think they know but in all actuality they only see the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this topic. This post has a different goal than my other posts. My other posts were ways for me to vent my frustrations. However, this post has the goal to inform. I want to inform people about depression, what it is, and how it affects people. I hope that by the time you finish reading this, you will have gained a greater understanding about the abnormal behavior known as depression and have gained more empathy (not sympathy) for those who have it.

Depression or Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) is a mood disorder. It is characterized by 5 or more of the following symptoms experienced for the past 2 weeks and includes depression and anhedonia. Symptoms include:

~ Depressed mood characterized by sadness most of the day, every day as experienced by the individual or reported by others.

~ Loss of pleasure or interest in usual activities (this is what anhedonia is) most of the day, every day.

~ Disturbance of appetite; appetite can either increase or decrease but must show at least a 5% change of weight in a one month period.

~ Sleep disturbance including insomnia or hypersomnia.

~ Psychomotor retardation or agitation (Psychomotor refers to movement)

~ Loss of energy or persistent fatigue

~ Feelings of worthlessness and inappropriate guilt

~ Difficulties in concentration or indecisiveness

~ Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide

Keep in mind that symptom onset is gradual as is symptom decline. Both can last for several months or longer.

4% of men and 6% of women in the US population experience Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) during a month. Rates are higher in Whites relative to African-Americans or Mexican-Americans. The ratio of women to men with Major Depressive Disorder is 2:1 indicating that 26% of women versus 12% of men have a lifetime prevalence of this disorder. Rates climb in mid-adolescence and peak in early adulthood. 80% of patients experiencing MDD will experience future episodes. The likelihood of relapse is predicted by earlier age of onset, number of previous episodes, being a woman, painful life events, and unsupportive family. Typically 66% of people with MDD will recover within 4-6 months.

MDD is treatable and can be overcome. Typically it is treated with therapy or medications or possibly even both. Some studies have shown that combining therapy with medication is the most ideal way to treat the disorder.

For those that suffer from MDD life can be pretty difficult and is a constant challenge. I have given you some information regarding this disorder and I hope that it has helped you to better understand it. Only your doctor can diagnose depression and if you think that you have some of the symptoms talk to your doctor about it and find out if treatment is really necessary. The information I've provided you with has been adapted from Abnormal Psychology : Current Perspectives (9th Edition) which is my text book for my Abnormal Psych class. The information has also partially come from my class notes as well.

No comments: