Saturday, October 02, 2004

Homecoming

Today was homecoming at my university. Homecoming is always a huge event here. So huge in fact that the entire week before the big day is filled with all sorts of homecoming activities. On Monday it was yard art and gorilla games. Tuesday was the official presentation of the king and queen candidates. Wednesday was convocation where we voted for homecoming king and queen. Then Wednesday night there was a comedian preforming in the student center. I went to see him and he was really, really funny. Thursday was an event called Yell Like Hell. That's always a fun event. What happens is that different organizations on campus put together a routine which includes a dance, a cheer, and a human pyramid of some sort. These can be in any order and the groups only have five minutes a piece to do their routine. Then they get judged and this year, RHA (Residence Hall Assembly) my favorite organization, finally got 1st place in the co-ed division. I love going to this event. It's so much fun to see the people out on the field dancing and cheering. It's kind of like a big pep rally to get ready for the game. There weren't any special events going on Friday night, but groups on campus were rushing to finish building their floats for the homecoming parade.

The parade started at 9 this morning. I didn't go because I'm not a big parade person. But from what I was told it was an excellent parade and all the floats were very well done. The game started at 2 this afternoon and we played against the Ichabods. That's the team for Washburn University in Topeka, KS. We've played them every year for homecoming and even with them being 3 and 0 we still mopped the floor with their butts! We always do though, so I wasn't surprised. I actually left after the first quarter was over. I'm not a football fan and the noise was giving me a headache. But I did go for a little while to show my support. We beat the Ichabods 70 to 14! Talk about a major win! It would have been even more cool had we kept them from scoring at all, but still, we did a great job. The Pittsburg State Gorillas have always been an awesome team.

No comments: